Sunday, December 21, 2008

Advent Poem #4: Rhapsody in M

Rhapsody in M
by Virginia Knowles (Advent 2006)

Myriad mercies:
more and more
merited? no! no merit in murky miserable me

Mystery:
manic malice meted on Messiah Martyr
Mighty and Meek

Miracle:
manic malice meted on my Mediator misses me
marvelous mercies ministered on me

Majestic Master:
master me
move massive mountains in me
make merry melodies in me
mirrors of Thee in mere me
more and more
myriad mercies

~*~*~

But when the goodness and lovingkindness
of God our Savior appeared, he saved us,
not because of works done by us in righteousness,
but according to his own mercy… Titus 3:4-5a
~*~
Let us then with confidence
draw near to the throne of grace,
that we may receive mercy and find grace
to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

~*~
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23


I wrote this Advent poem in 2006, and I hope you have sensed the love of the Messiah Jesus, the one who was sent to redeem us from our sins and bring us into fellowship with the Father, not because we deserve it, but because of his lavish mercy!


This painting is "The Crucifixion" by Matthias Grunewald, National Gallery of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails