Monday, July 19, 2021

What Do I Know?


What do I know?

I saw a mourning dove yesterday morning

hopping along the sidewalk near me.

My mother taught me of mourning doves

so I knew this one by her shape, color, size -- 

though then she did not speak. 


I crept up quietly, but she knew and flew. 

The roof was a safe place; the roof and the sky, 

because she has wings and I do not. 

I could see only her silhouette there

but it still said mourning dove to me.


This morning I heard her plaintive call: 

Coo ah coo coo coo.

And: Coo ah coo coo coo.

That was all she ever said, over and over again. 

But now I only hear the chirping and trilling of other smaller birds. 

I wait with my ears open. 

Now I hear her again: Coo ah coo coo coo.


Yesterday I did not hear. Today I do not see. 

So tell me, is there a mourning dove around?

Tell me what you know.





~*~*~

I wrote this as a simple Facebook post last year, not even as a poem. It came up in my Memories feed. I did not mention in that post that this day, July 19, is the anniversary of my mother's death in 2013. The image of a mourning dove is so relevant here.



I am writing a book now, Burned: Rising from the Ashes of Spiritual Crisis. In my chapter on the restorative spiritual practice of Lament, I tell a "small story" about the grief of losing my mother after a long hospitalization due to surgical complications. It is my mother who taught me so much of what I do know, about nature and so much more. I am so grateful for her life, even as I still mourn her death eight years later. The grief is quiet, like a mourning dove, but it is still there, even if I do not always see or hear it.

So tell me, what do you know?

Grace and peace,
Virginia

P.S. #1: It's been over a year since I've written on this blog. I'll do a new update post soon. So much has happened!

P.S. #2: Other posts related to my mother:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails