Monday, March 28, 2022

Echo of the Sacred Story







In the resounding Echo of the Grandest Narrative,
Hear your own invitation to the Sacred Story.
Say along with the saints:
“Be it done to me according to your Word!”
Imagine and realize what this means:
What wonder and honor
To be an ambassador of grace and mercy
On a mission of redemption in this world!
Then be filled with joy in your eager heart,
For in this moment,
The God of Glory becomes bigger than the world around you
You will find your purpose or, shall we say, 
Your Purpose will find you
As you listen within the quiet and within the noise.
Listen for that echo!
Enter his Mansion of Joy:
Explore each doorway, gaze out each window,
Dwell in each new place you find,
And feast at each table, sharing the riches of the Word
Singing a Magnificat of praises with thanksgiving
And inviting others into the Sacred Story
Welcome home!

~~

I wrote this poem as a reflection of a sermon by Rev. Patricia Orlando, my dear friend and mentor. A transitional deacon awaiting her ordination as an Episcopal priest this spring, she is on the pastoral staff at the Cathedral of St. Luke in downtown Orlando. I visited there the Sunday before Christmas 2021 when she was preaching this message on the ministry and Magnificat of Mary. 


In some ways, this is a "found poem" since I wove in the words from the notes I scribbled on an offering envelope.



  



I usually write an Advent poem each year. This one would have been perfect for 2021, but I didn't write it until earlier this month. 

These words encourage me today as I contemplate where I fit in with the Grand Narrative, what my specific ministry is as I move forward. Echoing my poem, I know I am "an ambassador of grace and mercy on a mission of redemption in this world." I have always said that God leads me in unusual ways, with unexpected twists and turns. I continue to wait, work, and pray as he shows me what is next in my life. As this stained glass window reminds me, the Lord is my Shepherd and he leads me on the path. 



Grace and peace,
Virginia Knowles

You may also like to read some of my more recent Advent poems. 


At Church of the Incarnation (where I attend), we are studying the book Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love on Wednesday evenings. (We eat soup together first!) I read this poem during our breakout group at the last meeting. I wrote it many years ago, but it seems to fit not only with that study but with this current poem. Here's the link: Bella Sophia (Lady Wisdom Sets Her Table).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails