Saturday, May 3, 2008

Graduation days! (Mary's and mine)


It's been 23 years to the day (May 3, 1985) that I graduated from the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management. Life has sure changed on campus! Enrollment has climbed from 25,000 to 50,000, making UCF the 6th largest university in the country, and there are oodles of beautiful new buildings to accomodate the growth. Life has changed for me, too. After all, I've added 10 students to my home school campus. And one of them, my oldest daughter Mary, followed in my footsteps -- and graduated from UCF yesterday with a degree in journalism!

The festivities actually started on Monday, with Burnett Honors College ceremony. Each Honors College student received a medallion to wear during graduation, as well as a T-shirt.


Does she look happy that it's all over?

Here she is with her fiance, Ryan, whom she will marry next Thursday, thereby attaining her MRS.




Ric Brunson has been a Godsend. He teaches Journalism at UCF and has been one of Mary's favorite professors. He's also a friend of our family at Metro Life Church for several years, and before Mary even enrolled at UCF, he met with Mary and me to discuss the options for journalism there. He also assisted her in applying for the Dow Jones copy editing internship, which paid off since she landed an internship with the Wall Street Journal!


Dr. Collins is another key professor in Mary's education at UCF. She took at least three courses from him along the way. Mary's friend and fellow J-school grad Amanda joins in for the picture.

A favorite spot on campus for graduation day pictures -- IN the reflecting pool!



Here I am with my sweet hubby Thad, whom I met at church just before my senior year at UCF. I guess Thad has changed a bit, too, since that picture at the top of this blog post! I should note that the day after I graduated from UCF, Thad officially asked my Dad if he could have my hand in marriage. And the rest, as they say, is history!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails