Thursday, August 14, 2008

Why So Many Typos from an English Teacher?

Dear friends,

When I hit the "publish post" button while writing this blog, it sends the new post to my e-mail inbox. I print it out, hole punch it, and put it in my notebook. Later, I go back and read it over again. I invariably find at least one typo or two, sometimes even more. Aargh! I'm supposed to be an English teacher, instilling in my beloved students a careful attention to detail! Oh well.

Here's why, though... I love to write! I often say, "I can't NOT write." That is an intentional double negative, not a grammatical typo. But, as much as I love to write -- whether it is this blog, my monthly family & friends letter, a Hope Chest e-magazine issue, or a personal note -- it cannot be my top time priority in life. So I write very quickly -- usually interrupted by kids or laundry loads -- and hope for the best. Most of the typos happen when I go back to change the structure of a sentence, and I either leave in a word that I intended to delete or replace or I have a word in my brain that doesn't quite make it to through my fingers onto the keyboard. And occasionally it's just that my fingers are flying so fast that I miss a letter. I don't always have time to proof very carefully because someone is calling for me from another room or needs to use the computer (like, right now!) or whatever. Then, too, sometimes I'm just plain tired and not seeing straight.

The point is not to make excuses for my typos, but just to acknowledge that I live a real life, far from the ivory tower. While I strive for excellence in all that I do, perfectionism is not going to help me survive, much less thrive, in this busy season of life with a bunch of kids in the house.

So, if there is something in your life that you just can't quite seem to get the way you want it, do try your best, but give yourself a bunch of grace, too! That's the real point!

With love,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails