Saturday, November 17, 2012

Appalachian Melody

"Appalachian melody
Drifting softly down
Instruments of gold and red and brown..."




Dear friends,

A week ago, I posted several YouTube videos of songs I enjoyed as a teen and college student in 

Happy Dreams and Old New Songs.



Mark Heard
Mark Heard
But there is one other song that haunted and blessed me in those years.  Most people have never heard of Mark Heard, a poet-musician who passed away in 1992 at the age of 40. He was more concerned with beauty and truth than with commercial success. (You may like to read his quotes.) His early song "Appalachian Melody" is the only one I remember from the 1979 cassette tape of the same name.   


My Dulcimer (1979)
I listened to it over and over and over again.  Even though its mountain style was not in my regular genre of Christian pop, I did play the mountain dulcimer and still own the one I sketched back then.


Anyway, I don't know why the song came to mind today but I decided to Google it. It is particularly fitting for this autumn season.  You'll know why when you listen to it. (Lyrics here: Appalachian Melody)

Enjoy...

(If you are reading this via e-mail and can't see the video, click on the blog post.)





"But these things are music to my eyes..."

Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails