Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Beach at Tybee Island (Traveling North Photo Series)


The beach at Tybee Island, 
near Savannah, Georgia

Day 1, Part 2 of Traveling North



















As we drove toward Savannah on Monday, I asked the kids what they wanted to do when we got there.  We've driven past the area many times on trips to see my parents in Maryland, but never stopped.  And since I am the solo driver (for the most part) on this trip, I decided to take our time and spread it out over three days.  I had scouted out some activities on the web, but wanted to give them the choice, while still encouraging some educational "field trippy" sort of ideas.  

We decided that since Ft. Pulaski was near the beaches at Tybee Island, we'd do both that afternoon and evening, and save historic Savannah for the morning before hitting the road again. 

The beach trip was pretty spontaneous.  I had thought ahead to bring some towels and swim suits since we thought we might go to the beach near my brother's house in New Jersey later in vacation, but otherwise, we were unprepared.  We had to dash into some beach-side stores to get boogie boards, sand pail & bucket, and sun screen.  We also had to deal with the wet, sandy clothes and towels.  Fortunately, I had a cheap tarp in the van which we cut up to cover the seats for our trip back to the hotel.

Anyway, the kids and I had a blast playing in the warm waves, building sand castles, and chasing the sea gulls away from our bag of Arby's roast beef sandwiches.  We buddied up for safety and I kept an eye on kids in the water.    The tide was coming in, so the waves got more adventurous, and as you can see in the pictures above, gradually claimed one of our sand fortresses.  Such is life.

Blessings,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails