Monday, September 15, 2014

A Visit to the Waterhouse Residence Museum at Lake Lily



My youngest daughter and I visited the Waterhouse Residence Museum, a Victorian home at Lake Lily. She's been there once or twice, and I've been there more times than I can count in the 21 years we've lived here. They change the decor every now and then; this time it reflected the relative simplicity of the World War 1 era. I'll let the pictures and captions tell the rest of the story.


 

Parlor

Darning work basket

Parlor flower arrangement

"Why We Work for Suffrage in War Time"

Victorian plate on the wall

Dining room

Kitchen with butter churn




The subtle white patterns between
the colorful blocks



Stereoscope



Ruler marks engraved into work table
(Those are not corn dogs or maracas, but darning eggs.)

Carpentry shop


Feeding the egrets and ducks at the lake



I am always inspired by the simple, vintage elegance of both the Waterhouse Residence and the nearby Leu House museum. It makes me want to go home and clean, organize, and decorate!

You can read about the rest of our home school day here: A Home School Day with Just One Child

Other photos from the Waterhouse Residence: Still Life

Another recent photo post, this from Lake Bell: Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Skies (Strength in Hymn)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these pictures. I LOVE old home tours! My favorite thing to do is look through their library and see if we read any of the same books since I love old literature. These are the favorite of our field trips :) I found you via the Coffee and Conversation link up. We also host a link up on Mondays ~ The Art of Home-Making Mondays if you care to join in. Have a lovely week!

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a neat place! I love old homes and buildings (probably a good thing my husband is an architect so he likes to see them with me!). The photos of the old books are so cool too. I have a few old family heirlooms like them and our boys think they are so interesting. Thanks for sharing your trip!
    -S.L. Payne, uncommongrace.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fun place. It is interesting looking at the things and realising how many my mom has in her home, just because she likes old things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails