Friday, June 1, 2018

Simple Woman's Daybook - June 2018






Hello friends!

I'm back with another Simple Woman's Daybook! (Check out my first one from April.

simple-woman-daybook-large.jpgI'll link this up to the TSW Daybook blog hop later this month. Maybe you'd like to give it a try too? It's SIMPLE! I'm just following the prompts! I must confess, though, that I have rearranged the sections due to what I'm writing about and how each part connects with the others this time around.



For Today...

Looking out my window...

Our backyard has a beautiful old magnolia tree in the corner, but sad to say, I very rarely go back there and I rarely even open the living room curtains to see it. I've known it's been in bloom for several weeks, but when I finally went out today I only saw two flowers. I don't know if that is because it is late in the season or because the tree is old and not blossoming as much. Next year, I'll get out there sooner to enjoy it! 


My late mother, a wonderful stained glass artist, created a magnolia piece for me many years ago.




I am thinking...

The summer can slip by so easily... School has been out for  a week now, and the three school age kids are just chilling. Two of them will also be doing high school credits online through Florida Virtual School, and one of them has a job, but that still leaves some time to spare. My two oldest sons, who are 18 and 20, still live at home, too, so I'm sure they'll take younger siblings on some adventures.

I'll bet we'll go to Rock Springs at Kelly Park, and other local nature spots. I did a photo post a Rock Springs a while back: Hidden Treasures from the Dark Places.




Maybe I'll also get us a membership at the Central Florida YMCA, because join fees are 75% off right now.







One of my favorite things...



One of my favorite things is actually a collection of pretty, sentimental knick knacks on a bookcase in my bedroom. I love looking at it every single day. 

I've read about the Swedish Death Cleaning method of decluttering a home. (Here's one article: What is 'Swedish death cleaning' and should you be doing it?) Simply said, "You get rid of all the stuff you’ve accumulated that you don’t need anymore — so that no one else has to do it for you after you pass." 

Well folks, this is the stuff I'm keeping. Let my kids do what they want with it when I'm gone. Fun thing to know: a lot of it I inherited from my mother after she passed away and I'm glad she kept it. There is more in my china cabinet, and some in my closet that I'll pass down to my kids if they want it.


~ one of my mom's porcelain sculptures ~
~ she particularly liked hummingbirds ~

The cottage village is one of my own collections. I love cottages and want to own one someday when my kids have all flown the nest. You can read about that here: My Cottage Dreams (Why Not Now?)

~~ cottage bought at a tea shop with friends ~~
~ stained glass candle shield made by my mother ~

~ plate I made at a pottery painting place
with some of my favorite words for life ~


I am wearing...


I'm wearing an ultra soft heather gray t-shirt I bought at the Vintage Market Days festival out in Geneva, Florida last October. On the t-shirt, the worstrong forms part of the coastline, since we'd just survived Hurricane Irma a few weeks earlier. (I'm guessing most of Florida has recovered, but Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria is another story.)



I love vintage stores and festivals, and I'll try to go to the next local VMD event this September in Kissimmee. I think I'll go by myself this time since I like meandering at my own pace.

~ my VMD stash from last October ~

Oh, speaking of Irma, it's hurricane season again, as of today! Are you ready?

I am thankful...

I am thankful that I was accepted for admission to Asbury Theological Seminary (Orlando Dunnam campus) starting this September, and that they have offered me two generous scholarships. I didn't make it into the counseling program, but that's OK. I can still take counseling classes as electives, and I love the theology classes I get to take! The Master of Arts in Ministry program is shorter than the Pastoral Counseling degree, though I may bump it up to a longer ministry degree later on. I start classes just a few days before I turn 55 - a little late in life, but better late than never, right? I still need to find a summer job to earn money for tuition. This is all a huge transition for me, since I've been mostly home with my 10 kids for the past 31 years.

Here I am after the Asbury graduation last month. My friend Patricia (left) graduated with her Master of Divinity and received the Basin & Towel award, and my friend Robyn (right) earned her Doctorate of Ministry. Lord willing, I'll be walking that stage to get my diploma in a few years!




I am reading... 






I am reading theology books. Seriously. One of my three courses - Inductive Bible Study, Gospel of Matthew - has over 300 pages of reading due by the second week. I'm getting a jump on it over the summer, along with books for the other two classes, which are Church History and Christian Ethics. My favorite local used bookstore, Brightlight Books, has thousands of theology books in stock. I traded in home school books (the end of an era after 26 years) and used my store credit for several of my theology text books. I still have a bunch more to buy.


I ordered the Kindle version of the main Inductive Bible Study text book to get it faster and because it's so much easier on my eyes than reading a print version because I can adjust the font size. 


I am creating...






I've been working on a new blog, a multi-faceted devotional Bible study on the book of James. For each Scripture passage, Wisdom from James features:

  • Read+Reflect+Respond: study questions, applications, a hymn, a prayer
  • My Reflections: expanded paraphrase, an essay (often on how the verses have been miscontrued), my poems
  • Study Helps: alternate versions, related Bible verses, commentaries

Someone asked how I decided to start this blog, and why the book of James? My answer to the second question was simply, "It comes after Hebrews." That's not mystical. It just happened that I had been reading and studying the book of Hebrews for my own devotional time, and then decided to keep going on with the very next book. At the time, I was reading the passages on my phone, copying them in to the Day One journal app, and then tapping in my comments and paraphrases. One day I decided to share a paraphrased passage on Facebook, and friends who like it encouraged me to write a devotional. I considered compiling an e-book to sell online, but after talking to an old friend who has published e-books, I decided on a different plan. This material seems more suited to a blog with links from one place to another. People can click on what they want to see, whether it is a different facet of the same passage, or links to articles on other websites or on my other blogs. So instead of a project with monetary profit, it's more a labor of love. Plus, it's helping me prepare for seminary.

Take a peek at: Wisdom from James.

I am listening...




I finally went to watch The Greatest Showman in the dollar theater since I'm too cheap to pay full price. I loved the movie! I downloaded my five favorite songs on iTunes, and I listen to them as I exercise in my mini-gym, as well as just for plain enjoyment. The songs I liked best are:

I also really enjoyed watching The Black Panther movie at the dollar theater. The cinematography was stunning, and I loved the portrayal of empowered women, as well as the contrast between traditional and technological.

I am hoping...

I'm hoping to improve my daily routine. Little bit by little bit! I found a web site, Develop Good Habits, that teaches how to build habit stacks. I'm working to be more consistent with a morning habit stack and an evening habit stack for hygiene, medications, water, exercise, reading, prayer, etc. 

I am learning...

I am learning that even though I don't always have extended time to create visual art, I can appreciate and honor the art of others.

My 12 year old daughter created these with inspiration from online videos.






I've been wanting to go to the Faith Arts Village Orlando (FAVO) 1st Friday art show for over a year. It's a collection of 32 small art studios in the re-purposed rooms of what used to be a motel. This artist, Jeryl Kain, paints rocks with the image of Jesus on them to be scattered around the city. Each has a Facebook page handle to learn more about the Good News.




To my surprise, our family friend Kevin, who grew up with my son-in-law, also exhibits his photography at FAVO. We had a lovely chat. Kevin donates his profits to charity.


On the way home, I drove by Park Lake and snapped a few nature photos of my own.





In my kitchen...


I've been pretty good about cooking at home for my family rather than hitting the fast food joints this month. But I still don't cook every night. 

I have three kids who work at Publix supermarkets, though not at the same stores. My 17 year old daughter started this week. She let me know that chicken tender subs were on sale, so when I dropped her off, I ordered a sub for three of my kids to split. I also noticed that their maple bourbon rotisserie chicken was on sale, so I got one of those too. Yum. Of course I went through the checkout line where she was bagging!


/



One way I keep my kitchen in order -- other than by NOT cooking -- is with various containers. I have a two tier metal bread rack next to my toaster, and I keep a basket for miscellaneous stuff (rather than a junk drawer) and another basket for clean up cloths. Yes, I still use paper towels, and I definitely use canisters of pre-moistened cleaning wipes. But sometimes a good sturdy absorbent cloth is what's needed for scrubbing a counter or wiping up a big spill. I always like to keep them handy!



Post script...

This is the part of the daybook where we're encouraged to pass along a favorite link. I choose Country Living Magazine, because they've got a bunch of creative articles for home, garden, cooking, crafts and the country lifestyle. I don't subscribe, but I love to read it in waiting rooms!



Shared quote...


The inspiring quotes on these cards sum up the encouragement and motivation that I need as I make big bold brave transitions in my life.





A moment from my day


My son informed me that I had forgotten to buy trash bags, which he needed because he was cleaning his room. Glory be! That's a miracle around here. 

I dutifully trotted off to our 24 hour Super Walmart late at night to buy those trash bags. While I was there, I bought a frame for my daughter's water color, and a small candle to place inside my mother's stained glass candle shield.





Of course I couldn't find my van in the parking lot after I got out of the store at 11 pm. It's a good thing I have automatic keys that flash the headlights and taillights, or I might still be wandering around.

Closing Notes

Morning will be here all too soon, so I'm going to say good night now!

I hope that whenever you read this, you'll have a lovely and awesome day!



Grace and peace,

Virginia Knowles




2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Virginia. I realized today that when I read your daybook last month I must have been wearing my dunce cap.
    I didn't realize who you are until I actually looked at the web address. I used to get your Hope Chest newsletters a long time ago. I believe you were expecting number 10 when I subscibed. I went back to my old Yahoo archives and discovered I still had some of your old newsletters.

    It's been many years now since those days and now you have grandlovies! How fun! My three girls are grown up now too.
    Well now that I've found you again I will start following your blog. Do you have an archive somewhere of your old Hope Chest articles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed visiting your Daybook. So many nice things going on.

    I gotta tell ya, my husband is obsessed with Publix!! anytime we visit Florida, it doesn't matter what awesome thing that we may do, it's the Publix that he talks about!! : )

    Hope that you have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails