- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 Tbs minced peeled ginger
- Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and other spices as desired
- 10 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 Tbs butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups 10X powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Pecans for garnish
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans.
- Line bottom of pans with waxed paper.
- Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended.
- Whisk in eggs 1 at a time.
- Add flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in carrots, walnuts, ginger and other spices.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes.
- Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in maple syrup.
- Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.
Redstone Cornbread with Maple Butter
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 7 oz creamed corn
- ½ cup butter
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Preheat to 400.
- Combine dry ingredients and add wet ingredients.
- Pour into greased 8” or 9” iron skillet or a square baking pan. Bake 35 minutes.
- Whip butter.
- Slowly drizzle maple syrup into mixture until well blended.