Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Dinner Menu

Dear friends,


My holiday menus seem to be popular posts on this blog, so here's what we're planning to fix for our Easter feast!






Main Dishes


Side Dishes

  • Homemade mashed potatoes
  • Biscuits
  • Green bean casserole
  • Spinach salad with slivered almonds

Desserts

  • Brownies
  • Apple plumble
  • Almond biscotti
  • Vanilla ice cream

Now for a few words of explanation...


My daughter Mary and her husband Ryan are eating Passover kosher this week, and it's a bit more strict than usual kosher. Since they aren't eating any raised baked goods or even wheat right now, they won't be able to eat the brownies or biscotti.  So I am making Apple Plumble, which is basically apple crumble with canned plums added.  I have not made it this way yet -- I'm sort of inventing it, as I did the odd name.  We'll see how it turns out!  I have never made biscotti either, and don't know if I will have time for it, but we might give it a shot tomorrow.  They are Italian cookies, twice baked, and I found several recipes on www.allrecipes.com.


I am not doing all of the cooking by myself.  It's a family affair!  In fact, the reason we are serving so many dishes is that everyone wants to help!  Mary is bringing the mashed potatoes, Julia has dibs on making the green bean casserole, Micah (11) has already made the brownies from scratch, Naomi (10) is helping with the biscotti and plumble, Ben (8) is making the spinach salad, and little Melody (5) is putting the canned biscuits on the baking sheet.  I'm sure that Lydia (16) and Andrew (13) will help out, too.  Rachel (20) and Joanna (18) are in Italy for another few weeks and will miss out on Easter with us, but let's not feel too sorry for them since they've been traveling to Paris, Rome, Monaco, and other fascinating places in between teaching English classes.


We'll be eating soon after getting home from Easter services at Lake Baldwin Church, so we're trying to make most of the dishes ahead of time.  I've already purchased most of the supplies at Aldi, the discount grocery store a mile from our home, but I'll stop by the produce market for the fresh green beans.  Maybe I'll find some other interesting fruit to add to my plumble, too.


Happy Easter to all of you!


If you haven't had the opportunity to read my Holy Week blog posts, here's the link:
Holy Week.


Blessings,
Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com

P.S. If you are new to my blog, WELCOME!  I imagine that some of you got here by doing a web search on Easter menus!   Feel free to poke around for inspiration, or pop over to one of my other blogs on home schooling or motherhood listed in the left hand sidebar.  I also have a Recipe index page on this blog, so take a peek!  I cook for a huge family (9 kids still at home most of the time), so I tend toward developing or adapting recipes that are thrifty and easy, but with a bit of flare.


P.P.S. I invite you to join the Food on Fridays carnival at Ann Kroeker's blog.   


3 comments:

  1. Hi Virginia,
    Thank you for the wonderful idea.I found your blog and I find it so cheerful and warm.I am your newest follower and I decided to follow by becoming one of your subscriber via email.hope you can check out my blog too. www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of your neighbors at Ann's Food on Friday site. Your menu is delightful and blessings to you all as you celebrate and break bread together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about that chicken--I used to make a version of it often when we were newly married. I should make it for my family again sometime. It's a great company dish.

    I hope you have a worshipful Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails