Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Holy Week: "I Am!"

I Am...


Dear friends,

To fully understand Holy Week (the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus), we must understand who he was and still is -- the perfect Son of God who lived and loved on this earth for 33 years until he died in our place to take the punishment for our sins.  He never did anything wrong, and his righteousness becomes our righteousness as we trust in him.  He dwells in the heart of those who believe him, and they dwell in him, too: "Christ in us, our hope of glory."


As I make this last little edit to the post, my kids are watching The Gospel of John on DVD.  We are reading through John 16-21 this week, too, which is good timing since we've been working through this gospel bit by bit this semester and now we're ready for the final sprint to the end.   


These verses are all taken from the Gospel of John.


I AM the bread of life.

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35


I AM the light of the world.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12


I AM the door.
Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep." John 10:7






I AM the good shepherd.

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me...." John 10:11-14



I AM the resurrection and the life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 11:25






I AM the way, the truth and the life.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6




I AM the true vine.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:1, 5


~*~*~

So why does it matter who Jesus is? Because who is affects who I am in him! When I trusted Christ to save me, I became a new creation, beloved of God! 
~*~*~



I am adding in this music video that some friends shared on Facebook: "You Are More" by Tenth Avenue North.  
Are you wondering who you really are?  Listen and be blessed!












Who I Am In Christ

These descriptions of my identity in Christ come from the Freedom in Christ Ministries web site, http://www.ficm.org/whoiam.htm. Is this what you want for your own life?  You can click on the verse references to see the actual Bible words behind the affirmations listed here.


John 1:12 I am God's child.

John 15:15 As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:1 I have been justified.

1 Corinthians 6:17 I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.

1 Corinthians 12:27 I am a member of Christ's body.

Ephesians 1:3-8 I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.

Colossians 1:13-14 I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.

Colossians 2:9-10 I am complete in Christ.

Hebrews 4:14-16 I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:1-2 I am free from condemnation.

Romans 8:28 I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.

Romans 8:31-39 I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 I am hidden with Christ in God.

Philippians 1:6 I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.

Philippians 3:20 I am a citizen of heaven.

2 Timothy 1:7 I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.

1 John 5:18 I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

John 15:5 I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.

John 15:16 I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.

1 Corinthians 3:16 I am God's temple.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21 I am a minister of reconciliation for God.

Ephesians 2:6 I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.

Ephesians 2:10 I am God's workmanship.

Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.


Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.



This post, except for the video, is from my archives.  It originally appeared in October 2009.  
In Him,









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails