Sunday, November 1, 2015

What I Have Seen (A Poem)


"What I Have Seen"
by Virginia Knowles

I have seen the fog floating low
Over young orange trees
In a grove once killed
By a hard freeze.

I had thought all of it was gone
I had not freshly noticed
The grove or its new growth
Until I saw the fog.



I woke on Friday morning at 7 AM, after the 6:30 alarm did not go off. But the second alarm did: "Spinal injection 8 AM." Just enough time to put on some clothes and brave the traffic for 38 minutes in hopes that this shot (unlike the last) would abate the pain. I tucked a protein bar in my purse for breakfast.

It was in the stop and go traffic on Maitland Boulevard that I glanced to the right, where groves once dominated, now taken over mostly by new development. Then I saw the fog. And the trees. And I thought right away of things that I do not always notice coming back to life, or to my life, in the midst of all of the other new things.

I think metaphorically. All the time. I am a philosopher at heart. And since I am also a poet, the lines came. I had thought of another line: "It is in the mist and the mystery / That I pause and ponder / What I have seen." But that seemed too moralistic, to obvious, to put in the poem. Yet it is true, so here we are in my end notes.

I borrowed the title of this poem, sort of, from "What I Have Found" by John Leax. I read it in his book Grace Is Where I Live a long while back and put it in my blog a few years ago, and linked it on Facebook even later. Facebook brought it up again Friday in its memories feature, so I had just read it that morning before I drove to my appointment. It still speaks to me in my own midlife, which is at times a place of trial and heartache and pain. Here it is for you.



"What I Have Found"
by John Leax

This place that claims my midlife
labor is not an Eden I have made.
It is a place of trial.
My hope resides in yielding
to what calls me still to stay.
No charming serpent curls
about my arm and whispers
in my ear. But I am tempted
nonetheless. Like Homer
I take the stories of my people,
I give them shape, and hand
them down. What I pass on
is truth made new--half-truth
spun through kind invention.
The world I make is finer
than the world I know. How else
contain the bitterness, the pain,
the grief? I have not lied.
I say my words; I seek
the wholeness of the world.
Like Homer I am blind.
I see what is not here.
I see this place by word
and grace a new creation.
That word is what I've found.
That grace is where I live.



Art credit: water colors by Melody Knowles, 2012 

You can read what I wrote about his poem in 2012 here.

Grace and peace,
Virginia Knowles

P.S. My other poems from this year - 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this, Virginia: your response and Leax's poem: "The world I make is finer
    than the world I know. How else
    contain the bitterness, the pain,
    the grief? I have not lied.
    I say my words; I seek
    the wholeness of the world."
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, grace. We need it. I totally need it.
    Lovely poetry, dear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails