Saturday, September 6, 2008

His Eye is on the Sparrow

In Sam's Club yesterday, I heard a squawking, squeaking, flapping, and fluttering as I walked past the paper plate aisle. I followed my ears and found a little bird frantically trying to fly out of a box that held bags of of plastic cups. There are often birds flying around in Sam's, so I figured maybe he just got stuck. I tried to clear the way for him to fly, and even nudged him with my folded up shopping list, to no avail. So I carried the whole big box, with just the little bird in it, all the way to the front of the store and then outside, where I hoped he would be able to fly away. An employee named Jennifer gently picked him up and he seemed to calm down in her hands but still not fly. Meanwhile, I stepped aside to call my friend Kathy, who often takes care of injured birds, to see if I could bring him to her. She was out of town and told me to call our friend Allura, who is also skilled in this. While I was dialing Allura's number, Jennifer came inside and sadly told me that the wee bird had just died. There wasn't much that either of us could do for this tiny creature that God had made. I didn't even give it the blessing of a tender touch as she did. But you know that God saw and that he cares, even for a little sparrow.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

I wrote this little story (which is true) to encourage one of my cousins, who is a nurse in a VA hospital. Her tender care of God's wounded ones is so important, even when it doesn't always seem like she is making a difference!

After I wrote it, I remembered that when I called my friend Kathy about the bird, she told me that "The Bird Lady" had died last week. This is a woman who is known throughout our community as the one to take sick and injured birds. Kathy and Allura have both learned much from her. Now she is gone, but there will be ones who take her place, not in quite the same way, but doing what they can. I don't even know her real name, but I know the impact she has had, even in caring for what seems like the least of God's creations. God bless her!

This bird experience also reminded me of an old Gospel song, "His Eye is on the Sparrow." There are numerous versions on YouTube, but this one by CeCe Winans and Lauryn Hills is one of my favorites...




Lyrics from Cyberhymnal.org http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/i/hiseyeis.htm

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Remember that God cares for you! You are so much more important to him than the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails