Monday, February 23, 2009

The Wissmann Family in Concert

On Sunday night, Thad and I took the younger seven kids to enjoy a free Gospel bluegrass concert by the Wissmann family. Loren and Gloria Wissmann, along with 12 of their 13 children, have been on a southeastern tour these past two months, singing in churches and prisons. This talented family sang and played the hammered dulcimer, steel guitar, mandolin, fiddle, flute, and banjo.

I loved the music (and bought their newest CD, Let the Rocks Cry Out) but the real delight was seeing the joy on their faces as they sang about Jesus, and watching the obvious affection that they have for one another.

I took the CD to our home school co-op yesterday and played a few pieces for the 7th and 8th graders. They need a taste of Americana culture, as well as good, wholesome Christian encourgament! The first song I played for them, "Mind of Christ," is actually one of my old favorite hymns, "May the Mind of Christ My Savior" by Kate Wilkinson. I remember singing it to my mother-in-law, Ann, shortly before she died. The second piece was "Let My Life Be a Light," an a capella (vocal only) piece with beautiful harmonies. And the third piece, the title cut, was the rollicking "Let the Rocks Cry Out," written by the oldest daughter, Rachel, who is 27.

I also showed my class a short video clip of a lady playing the hammered dulcimer, so they could get an idea of one of the many instruments the family played. I own a mountain dulcimer, but that is not the same thing. You can Google "hammered dulcimer" if you are curious.

If you live in the Orlando area, I believe that the Wissmann family will be in concert again this Sunday, March 1, at 10:45 AM at Powers Drive Baptist Church and at 6 PM in the evening at Palm Springs Baptist in Altamonte Springs. I encourage you to go experience their beautiful music and family testimony!
You can check the Wissmann Family web site, http://www.wissmannfamily.com/, for more information on their schedule and ordering CD's. I particularly liked reading the page that introduces each family member. They also have a blog linked to that site.

I will close with the words of that old hymn I mentioned earlier. (Note that the words are slightly different than this when they sing it. This is the original version.)


"May the Mind of Christ My Savior"
by Kate B. Wilkinson

May the mind of Christ my Savior
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and power controlling
All I do and say.

May the Word of God dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His power.

May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

May the love of Jesus fill me,
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.

May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

May His beauty rest upon me
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel
Seeing only Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails