Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Here Comes the Sun!

Dear friends,


My husband left the house early this morning so he could meet his friend George for breakfast at McDonalds, as they often do.  Shortly after he left, he called to tell me that as he was driving out of our neighborhood, he was struck by how the sun seemed like a radiant orange ball.  He knows I like these kinds of things!  I told him I would be sure to poke my head out the door -- with my camera of course.  The sun was still so low on the horizon that I couldn't see it well from in front of our house, so I ran back inside for my van keys and drove over to the neighborhood elementary school, where I've gotten some of my best sunrise shots while on my morning walks.



I took some of the shots with my digital camera, but it was low on battery, so I also pulled out my iPod which has a camera on it.   A little editing brought out the natural colors.

The day is yours, and yours also the night; 
you established the sun and moon.  Psalm 74:16




And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; 
for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, 
to give his people the knowledge of salvation 
through the forgiveness of their sins, 
because of the tender mercy of our God, 
by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven 
to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, 
to guide our feet into the path of peace. Luke 1:76-79






From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, 
the name of the LORD is to be praised.  Psalm 113:3



Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said, 
‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 
that you may be children of your Father in heaven. 
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, 
and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.   Matthew 5:43-45

While we are at it, a few of my other recent sun photos...


This next shot was is at the same place as the ones above, just through thick fog. What a difference the atmosphere makes!  You can see more of the fog shots here: Friday Favorites #7 - and Emerging from the Fog




These next photos were all within a mile from my home, snapped either on my morning walk or while out on errands.  Yes, I will pull my van over to the side of the road to get a good picture!




You can see another of the cloud shots here: 

Friday Favorites #8: A Potpourri of Beauty and Grace



Oh, one more!  This is from last year, but the blog post that it's in (Morning Walk) still gets regular visits since the photo often shows up on Google image searches.



So there you have it!   It's been a good start to my morning!  And now, since most of the younger kids aren't up yet, I'm going to watch a little bit of the Gospel in Life DVD by Tim Keller on my laptop.  I borrowed it a while ago, and haven't watched it yet.  Another good way to start the morning!  You might have seen me write about his book Generous Justice before on this blog, such as in this post: Weekend Gratitude: Just Beauty and this one, too: Even More Weekend Gratitude.  Coincidentally, each of these posts has a lot of nature pictures, too!

Blessings,
Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com


P.S. I did watch four of the eight 10 minute segments of Gospel in Life this morning!  Good stuff!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails