Friday, April 26, 2013

ReStore! Putting God's Love into Action

Dear children, 
let us not love with words or speech 
but with actions and in truth. 
1 John 3:18

 Have you been to a ReStore yet?  Habitat for Humanity's thrift stores can be found in 825 communities.  They don't carry clothes, but they do carry household goods, furniture, appliances, building supplies (sinks, doors, etc.), and books!  

Our ReStore recently moved from one location to another within the same shopping plaza.  The new place looks really small from the outside, but it's huge on the inside, much bigger than the previous spot.

I bought this wreath for $6 yesterday for my front door.  They were giving out cards for $5 off of a $20 purchase, so I also bought a desk lamp for $4, a hamper for $4, and several nutrition books and a video for $6.  I also donated a comforter set that a neighbor had passed along to us.


This cheerful mural adorns one of the walls, and reminds everyone why Habitat for Humanity exists: "Seeking to put God's love into action" by providing affordable housing through community service. 



You can find out more about ReStore and Habitat for Humanity in a blog post I wrote a while back here: A Desk for Mom (Featuring Habitat for Humanity)


You can help by donating household items to ReStore, donating money to Habitat for Humanity, or volunteering your time either in a ReStore shop or on a house building / restoration project.  If you are a high school student living in Florida, you can earn your Bright Futures scholarship volunteer hours, too!

Grace,
Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! We have a ReStore near us. I haven't been there in ages. I'm glad you reminded me!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked and they have one in my town -- I didn't even know it. I'm eager to check it out on Tuesday when I do my errands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in a Restore though I think we have one in our town. I will have to check into it...I never realized that is what it was. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails