Monday, June 30, 2014

My Maryland Home Away from Home (Road Trip 2014)



Road Trip 2014
Day 4
Maryland!

We arrived at my dad's house in Maryland on Sunday evening, much later than we had planned due to horrible traffic between Richmond, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

I love talking to my dad about history. 
His knowledge about American military history and the migrations of ethnic groups from one country to another is absolutely astounding!  I'm glad he's going down to D.C. tomorrow with us to visit the Smithsonian American History museum.

My sister Barb arranged for me to join her at a counseling appointment on Monday since both of us are still grieving the death of our mother last summer, and we know that going to her family's reunion will bring up all sorts of memories.

Before the appointment, we stopped at the French Twist Cafe for Canadienne crepes (made fresh with eggs, bacon, and cheese while we watched!), a latte for her, and hot chocolate for me. Everything is so quaint in historic Sykesville, Maryland!



 


Sister time!

We had originally planned to do lunch at Sweet Simplici-Tea, but like most shops in this vintage town, it is closed on Mondays.  Instead, we peered through the window.




Barb also arranged for me to have a massage when she had hers. What a treat after a three day van drive!  

When we got home, I looked for the kids in the backyard, but they had walked over to a park with their cousins. The yard and garden are a bit overgrown since Mom isn't there to tend them.  Just another reminder of our loss...  
The garden gate

Former flower patches

Still blooming!




Aunt Fay and I
at 2012 Reunion
I'm not the only one who is experiencing loss. I just found out this evening that a much loved aunt who has Alzheimer's has been admitted to a nursing home since my uncle can no longer care for her at home.  I will miss seeing her.  She and my cousin shared Jesus with me at the Hess reunion in 1976, and she's always been close to my heart. My uncle loves her so much, and I respect him for all he has done for her.  We have quite a family, full of love, and I'm grateful for all of them.

Blessings,
Virginia Knowles
www.VirginiaKnowles.blogspot.com


P.S. This is the third post in my Road Trip 2014 series.  The other two so far are: 

Other related posts (including two of my mom's garden from last year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails