Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Evening

I am sitting outside a cafe with wi-fi while my kids are at youth group (www.lakebaldwinchurch.com) and reading Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristoff and Sheryl WuDunn. I had heard about the book via Carolyn Custis James, and found out that Ms. WuDunn would be speaking at the Synergy conference in Orlando last night. Julia and I went, and I'm glad we did. She is a gifted speaker and insightful journalist. Maybe that's why she and her co-author husband won a joint Pulitzer for their coverage of China for the New York Times.

I checked the book out from the library this afternoon. It's not a pleasant read since it is filled with stories of human trafficking, child brides, gender discrimination induced poverty and other horrors inflicted on women worldwide. But it is also filled with hope as it tells of women who have risen above it all not only to make a life for themselves but also bring redemption to their communities.

I'll write more later. Now, back to the book!

Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails