Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Weekend Gratitude for Family in Maryland and Longwood Gardens

Dear friends,

Here we are again with gratitude for another weekend!  I had a lot extra to be thankful for this weekend since I had the opportunity to fly up to Maryland to visit my family for my sister's 50th birthday.  She came up with the marvelous idea of going up to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania.  Most of the exhibits are indoors, so this wasn't as nippy for a Florida girl as you might imagine.  I was amazed at the varieties of orchids they had on display!  I'll let pictures and captions tell the rest of the story.   

My present to my sister was a photo montage of about a dozen pictures from the time I was a baby and she was a toddler until the one below, which my mom took on Saturday at Longwood Gardens.  Here we are with our sister-in-law.



My grandma is doing well at age 96. 
My mom takes such marvelous care of her!
I am so thankful for my sweet mother and grandmother!
They are both so nurturing and kind!
Grandma was a church organist for many decades,
and I know that our family's love of music
was part of her heritage.


I zoomed in on this cardinal in mom's tree.




I love the contrast of lichen and snow at the base of this tree. I took the picture when I arrived at 10 PM, knowing the snow would be rained away by morning.

 


Just enough of a snowball to toss at my sister and mom.





Someone has an optimistic sense of humor, but it took us a minute to figure out what it meant. What is a "bok" anyway? Just read the letters, and you'll get it, if you haven't already.



And now for the photos at Longwood Gardens!

The Conservatory 



My parents, brother, sister, Grandma and I































The Ecuadorian band of four brothers, Andes Manta, played for about an hour in the ballroom.  During one song, it sounded just like a rainforest! It's a huge rain stick! (This guy had a vibrant smile which I wish I could have caught on camera. I love to see people enjoy themselves in what they do!)







I enjoyed the Sunday service at the little Lutheran church just down the street from my parents' house. Mom sings in the choir. She knows the whole liturgy, but I, never a Lutheran, stumbled along through the chants and kyries and prayers and responsive readings.
I'm grateful that Mom made sure we all knew how to read music!

This church has a strong vision for justice and mercy ministry. The youth had just completed a World Vision "30 Hour Famineduring which they fasted and did service projects aimed at serving the needy in the USA and overseas. Each of us was encouraged to take home a heart with a child's name on it -- to pray for them. I took six, to share with some of my kids.



On Sunday afternoon, just before I flew home, my dad was kind enough to part with some more of his vintage childhood books,
which his home schooled grandchildren will use as part of their education (along with plenty of modern stuff)! 
 
 
 
Needless to say, I am very grateful to spend three days with my beloved family and one day with beautiful flowers!

Thank you, God!

Blessings,
Virginia Knowles


Like the flowers?  More here: Longwood Gardens and here: Consider the Camellias


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails