Thursday, November 19, 2009

Banana Cake

Dear friends,

I've been making this quick bread recipe for over 20 years, ever since my sister Barb gave me a copy of the Serve the Best cookbook published by the Maryland branch of Bethany Christian Services, an adoption agency.  It's a great way to use up bruised or brown bananas!  This particular recipe was submitted to the cookbook by Katie Werner, an adoptive grandmother.  My adaptations are noted in the brackets.

MOM'S BANANA CAKE

1/2 cup shortening  [vegetable oil]
1 1/2 cups (or less) sugar [combination of white and brown]
2 eggs
2 or 3 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour [combination of white and whole wheat]
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour milk [fresh milk]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [optional]

[You can also add spices such as cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.]

P.S. This is a great recipe to take to someone as a gift, especially if you wrap it in pretty colored plastic wrap.  Some folks are so overwhelmed with too much sugar during the holidays, so this is a healthier alternative.  Ask God to show you whom to bless with this kind of yummy compassion. 

P.P.S.  My daughter Mary was quite mischievous and precocious as a two year old.  One day I snapped at her, "You drive me bananas!"  She instantly retorted, "Well, you drive me strawberries!"  You've heard it said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade," so when life gives you bananas, MAKE BANANA CAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails