Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris (Europe #17)


On our first day in Paris, after the Seine River cruise, we made our way to Notre Dame cathedralwhich is on an island called Île de la Cité with many other historic buildings. Along with the Eiffel Tower and Arche de Triomphe, it's one of Paris's most widely recognized landmarks.





We saw fully armed French soldiers frequently in Paris, in large part due to last year's terrorist attacks there. I didn't know it at the time, but authorities had thwarted a potential attack on Notre Dame just weeks before we visited.



There was a line to get in, but it didn't take too long. There was plenty to look at as we waited.





Inside, so majestic!











Mass began in the center of the church while we were there, but visitors could still walk around the outer sections without disturbing anyone. I recorded a little of the sounds...







Jesus, Savior of the World


I visited the outside of Notre Dame again the next day. 

A woman handed me some bird seed to place on my arm. It worked, for better or worse. Then she asked for two euros, but I had no cash.







Oh, enough of pigeons!

Isn't this a beautiful building?



You can see my 15 Switzerland photo posts here: Switzerland.

You will find Paris posts here as I create them: Paris.

God bless!
Virginia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails